Step by step guide on how to obtain a certificate of occupancy in Edo State, Nigeria.


6/15/20232 min read

Application for Governor's Consent in Edo State - Chaman Law Firm
Application for Governor's Consent in Edo State - Chaman Law Firm

To apply for and obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) in Edo State, Nigeria, you typically need to follow a series of steps and comply with the local regulations and requirements. Here is a general outline of the process:

  1. Engage a Town Planner or Architect: To begin the process, it is advisable to engage the services of a qualified town planner or architect. They will guide you through the process and ensure that your building plans meet the necessary regulations.

  2. Prepare Building Plans: Work with the town planner or architect to prepare detailed building plans for your property. The plans should adhere to the local building codes and regulations.

  3. Submit Application: Visit the Edo State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development or the relevant local government authority to submit your application for a Certificate of Occupancy. You will need to provide the necessary documents, including:

    • A completed application form (obtained from the ministry or local government authority).

    • Four sets of building plans.

    • Proof of land ownership (e.g., deed of assignment, survey plan, or certificate of occupancy if the property has been previously registered).

    • Evidence of payment of relevant fees.

  4. Verification and Inspection: The ministry or local government authority will conduct a verification process and may also carry out inspections of the property to ensure compliance with the approved building plans and regulations. This step may involve a physical inspection of the site and its surroundings.

  5. Payment of Development Levy: Once your building plans are approved, you will be required to pay a development levy. The amount varies depending on the size and classification of the property.

  6. Payment of Ground Rent: As part of the process, you will need to pay the appropriate ground rent for the property. This is an annual fee payable to the state government.

  7. Issuance of Certificate of Occupancy: After completing the necessary inspections and payments, the Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development or the local government authority will issue the Certificate of Occupancy if all requirements are met. The C of O serves as proof of legal ownership and is essential for certain transactions, such as property sales or obtaining financing.

It is important to note that the specific requirements and processes may vary slightly depending on the local government area within Edo State. Therefore, it is recommended to consult with the relevant authorities or engage a professional familiar with the local regulations to ensure accurate information and guidance during the application process.