Step by step guide on how to file a complaint against police officers in Nigeria.


7/28/20232 min read

To file a complaint against a police officer in Nigeria, you can follow these general steps:

1. Document the Incident: Write down all the details of the incident, including the date, time, location, and names of the police officers involved. If possible, gather any evidence such as photos, videos, or eyewitness accounts

2. Identify the Relevant Authority: In Nigeria, the appropriate authority to address police complaints depends on the nature of the complaint. Generally, you can report police misconduct to the following organizations:

a. Public Complaint Rapid Response Unit (PCRRU): The PCRRU is a unit within the Nigeria Police Force specifically established to handle public complaints against police officers. You can file a complaint through their website ( or by calling their helpline at 0805 700 0001-4, or 0805 800 0001-4.

b. Police Service Commission (PSC): The PSC is an independent government agency responsible for overseeing the conduct of police officers. They can investigate complaints against police personnel. You can contact them through their website ( or by visiting their office.

c. National Human Rights Commission (NHRC): The NHRC is a government agency tasked with promoting and protecting human rights in Nigeria. They can receive complaints related to human rights violations, including those involving the police. You can visit their website ( or their office to file a complaint.

3. Submit a Formal Complaint: Once you have identified the relevant authority, submit a written complaint detailing the incident and the names of the officers involved. Include any supporting evidence you have gathered. If you are unable to write a formal complaint, you can request assistance from the organization to help you document your complaint.

4. Follow up on Your Complaint: It is important to follow up on your complaint to ensure it is being addressed. Keep copies of all correspondence and documentation related to your complaint. Contact the relevant authority periodically to inquire about the status of your complaint

5. Seek Legal Assistance: If your complaint is not properly addressed or you face any challenges, you may consider seeking legal assistance. Consult with a lawyer who specializes in human rights or police misconduct cases to explore your options and get appropriate advice.

Remember, it is crucial to remain calm and respectful when dealing with authorities while expressing your concerns.